Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Musings of a thoughtful young man

After a hard and satisfying day of work, I was lounging by below the apartment. Lost in my thoughts, watching the american flag flying by on the house on the hill opposite me. Years, months, hours, seconds passed by in the twinkling of an eye. Felt for a moment, that it's been just yesterday when I came here, with a dream in the heart and sparkle in the eyes. As if it was yesterday when I went past the los angeles freeways to my destination in the lincoln sent by niranjan uncle to pick me up.


God really knows when to strike the point, in the matters of the heart. Aptly the song started playing at the moment, "raat ke humsafar, thak ke ghar ko chale, jhoomti aa rahi hai subah pyar ki. dekh kar samne roop ki roshni, phir looti jaa rahi hai subah pyar ki." We gave each other a smile, He winked down upon me.


The long hours passed in leavey library, I sometimes would spend entire nights there sleeping if you may, on the chairs. As I used to wake up sometimes or be half awake, I used to gaze by my favorite place by the window, as the morning mist would rise from the fog swept twinkling lights over the lawn. Sight of all the students, working hard for a dream, for a promise, for a loved one, for success. The first rays of the sun, bathing us in the glory, filling us with energy. On a clear day, you could see the Hollywood sign over the santa monica mountains from the library window on the 3rd floor.


The almost loving discussions I used to have with professor michael crowley, sometimes waiting for hours in the line to meet him in his office hours. I used to sit down on the passageway, and scribble all sorts of C++ code and algorithms on pieces of paper. I have never told him, but sometimes I went just to see him and listen to him, although I would not really have a question. The day he told me to call him just Mike, meant a lot to me. Then there was the professor who just loved programming, Jorge Seidel, hacking away on his Python code all the time. I loved talking to my students in that class, the undergrads. They were young and carefree, and had a desire. Be it to watch the game tonight, to see a movie with their girlfriends, or be it the one point I had cut from their homeworks.


All these thoughts were musing me into the dying hands of the night. Sleep is such a sweet lover, shows you the dream and then goes away. A jeep came hustling by, jolting me from my slumber of thoughts. There came out this very black man I had wrote about earlier. As he was going down inside, he waved a hand to me, and impulsively, my hand waved back too. The single moment of interaction, spoke a lot of words. If you could see a flow of karma, you could see this electric wavy line connecting. We both were satisfied men at the end of the day. We understood. We had done it, we are on our way. Seeing this man earlier carrying his kids on his shoulders giving a smile to his wife, I knew that this man might not become a millionaire, not because he cannot do it, but because he was satisfied. He was just happy. He had reached his goal. Now he was laying the boulevard with flowers. For a moment, we exchanged this satisfaction.


And then I started thinking again. Oh these thoughts don't leave me. I am foolish. I am an explorer. I want to take you all on a journey with me. I would gradually shift into the left lanes, the fast lanes of the freeway. Here we go, we are rising, up up we go. We are almost taking off. Left for the clouds, left this earth in search of my boulevard of dreams. Planets we explore, stars we gaze. I would then proclaim, we are free, we are there, I love you folks.

No comments: